Monday, June 30, 2008
Working on what I am calling a "Stash Scarf." If this stops being so yarn-hungry, I will eventually have 6, all moving gradually through at least 3 colors. However, the stitch I'm using (From My-so-called scarf) is really really yarn-hungry. The small snippet to the right is almost 5 skeins. It began with a light olive green wool and moved into a greenish brown part mullberry silk, part mohair. After using a lot of the greenish brown, it is moving to a light brown wool. I might run out too soon and have to combine it with the colors picked out for the next scarf.
Overall, I've been really pleased with how it's turned out. These "Stash Scarves" are being made from the remnants of a sweater I was supposed to finish for my X-Finace's mom's friend. She had bought the pattern and yarn (over $300 dollars worth in the 80s, if I don't miss my guess) as her first project. It was, years later the sweater, the back partially done, backwards to the pattern, in too small a size, was given to me to finish. I began it last year - but only later realized that it wasn't going to work. Not only did I not want to weave in all of those ends (hundreds, literally), the sweater was too small for the recipient, with no good way to increase, and it seemed not quite enough yarn in any case. I also did not care for the pattern, which involved some very intense color work, and a carry along of 2 colors for every stitch. To make matters worse, I noted some holes which would have required ripping, which would have resulted in too little yarn. So, on Saturday a friend and I ripped and salvage what we could. I let her take any that she wanted, and I determined to make some scarfs with the leftovers. This is the first one I attempted, and I tried to use the two strand carry-along, swapping 1 at a time to gradually change color. This is the one element that I am keeping from the original sweater. The downside is that I had to rip a sweater in progress. The upside is a lot of free Rowan Stash in many assorted candy colors.
Monday, June 16, 2008
Here I am, working on my scrap knee-highs to send to my crafter pen-pal in Connecticut, Meg. They are my first two-circ in-the-round project. Seems pretty easy so far, but I haven't made it to the heel yet. I intend to steal the heel from the Monkey Socks (shown below) because the heel on those fit so well. Very excited and hope I can finish these soon - but I also have three blankets that I am currently working on........................ oh yeah, and then there is grad-school. I have my final on Wednesday night and am starting 2 new classes the week after.
Good thing I'd rather knit than sleep!
The boyfriend's "sleep slippers." I improvised the pattern myself from what I know of sock construction. I hate toe-up and love turning heels. Ran out of red, so I had to back-track and add black toes to both socks.
They may seem big in this picture. They are, they have been worn a lot and have stretched a little since the last washing.