Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Miss Kalendar goes to Stitches West!




Well, it's official, I am a yarn nerd. This year, I finally made it to Stitches West. I'd only heard of it last year and then, only after it had come and gone. This was a huge disappointment, and one that would have been repeated this year if one of my friends hadn't booked it on my calendar for me. Stitches was a few days after I returned from my Florida/NC trip, and there is no way I would have remembered through the haze of catching up at work and at home (and dealing with the ending paperwork and mechanic stuff from my accident in December), if she hadn't been sure to remind me of it.

So, these pictures, in no particular order, are my friends and I at stitches. I won't be using names as I'm not sure what they want to be called. Needles to say, there were no cameras allowed inside, so the countless times I smooshed my face into yarn will live on only in the memories of those present. (Which is good since it's sort of yarn-perv habit). The haul was pretty good. I purchased a bag of sari silk yarn, 10 small skiens, on the way cheap, some gorgeous wool/silk fibre, and a device to hold the yarn from my wrist for walking and knitting. I was very careful with my purchases.....but that was mostly due to the restraining influences of my friends rather than any tendency for restraint on my part.

The last thing I bought was a Navajo Spindle. It was the largest one I had seen at the convention. I then walked around flaunting it in an attempt to inspire "Spindle Envy." I don't yet know how to use it, but I intend to learn. Besides, if I am still re-enacting the Rennaisance, it makes a hilarious prop as an overgrown drop-spindle.

One of the best things about Stitches West was that I met the Knitmore Girls, our local San Jose area podcasters. They were just as charming in person as their podcast. I very much enjoyed talking to them.

Needless to say, I can't wait to go next year and see another room full of yarn and fibre and my kind of people.

- Miss Kalendar

No comments: